Thursday, November 08th 2012
5 Benefits of Custom Kitchen Cabinets
Posted by Jim Drury
Category: Kitchen Design
Cabinets are the focal point of a kitchen. Sure, they are boxes with shelves, drawers, and doors, but they are your kitchen’s furniture, and they should be built to last with a design that represents the personality of their owner.
Cabinets from a big box store may be cheaper, but they are never a better value than cabinets that are custom made. When you add together all of the benefits of custom cabinetry, you will understand why homeowners who choose custom kitchen cabinets enjoy their decision every day.
Custom Cabinetry Benefits:
1. Built to Last – Custom cabinets are made by skilled cabinet makers by hand - not on assembly lines. Cabinet makers take pride in their work, using quality materials for a finished product that’s a work of art. Custom cabinets are quality construction that’s built to last.
Here’s a quick overview of the differences between custom and stock cabinetry construction:
|Custom Cabinetry||Stock Cabinetry|
|Joints||Dovetail, dowel, or mortise-and-tenon||Glued, nailed, or screwed|
|Corner Braces||Wood glue blocks||Stapled plastic corners|
|Drawer Slides||Hidden undermount||Side slide brackets|
2. Local Sourcing – If you are concerned about the origin of the wood used for your cabinets, then you immediately see the benefit of custom cabinetry. You have a much broader choice of wood for your project including using local or domestic hardwoods that lessen the impact on the environment.
3. Elements you need – none that you don’t – You can choose the elements that work best for you. You don’t have to settle for average dimensions. If you are 5’1” tall, you can order smaller cabinets to place your countertops at the right height for optimal leverage when preparing food. If you are 6’5” you can order taller cabinets. Have a variety of heights in your home? You can order cabinets in many sizes to accommodate all members of your household.
You can select unique cabinet and drawer combinations that fit your cooking and baking style creating a more efficient kitchen. For example, your kitchen can incorporate a cutlery cabinet, spice cabinet, cookie sheet cabinet, trash drawer, pullout cutting boards, wine rack, or island cabinetry that opens from both sides.
4. Personal Selection – Stock cabinets may include “hundreds of combinations” but you are still limited by the product availability. Custom cabinets provide you with a personal customized selection of wood, style, finish, and hardware to address your goals and needs. Stock cabinetry is made in an assembly line in batches at different times and often results in non-matching materials and finishes. Custom cabinetry is made per order with hand selected woods and is all finished at the same time.
5. Built to Fit – Have an unusual kitchen layout or an unconventional floor plan? Stock cabinets are designed for stock kitchen sizes, so if you have wall left over, you will need fillers in these areas. Fillers, while they have their place should be used sparingly as needed. Custom cabinets can be built to any size you specify, which makes all of your spaces usable, taking advantage of nearly every inch in your kitchen. Custom cabinets give you a fitted look unavailable with stock cabinetry.
Kitchen Designing with Custom Cabinetry
Custom cabinet makers are not necessarily designers. To get the most value out of your custom cabinetry, it helps to enlist the talents of an experienced kitchen designer who can guide you through all the options with your best interests in mind. By adding custom design elements to your home, you will not only increase the value of your home, you will make your kitchen a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
Take a moment to peruse through our kitchen and bath design galleries of beautiful custom cabinetry to find the right look and fit for your home.