Exquisite Primary Bathroom Update – Darien, IL
Designer: Samantha Schoell, CKBD
Imagine having a large primary bathroom with the right layout but the wrong everything else. That was the case with Samantha’s clients in Darien. The materials in the bathroom were simply outdated. The large built-in tub was an eye sore and the vanity wasn’t functional. This update would involve keeping the existing floor plan while using new materials to bring the space up to date.
- Modernize the space
- Use eye-catching tile
- Vanity with more storage
- Brighter finish on plumbing fixtures
- Get more storage/functionality out of the same vanity space
- Tile selection – finding the right combination for the large the space
- Material selection – getting that wow-factor effect without being able to move walls or plumbing. This refresh was all about choosing materials with impact.
- Bringing in more light in a space somewhat defined by an existing vaulted ceiling.
The Renewed Space
- Removed the old built-in tub look and replaced it with a sleek freestanding tub
- Continued the same tile from the shower walls behind the freestanding tub for a beautiful look on the back wall when you walk into the space
- Created a vanity with undermount sinks, all at one level to gain more countertop space
- Added floating shelves by the vanity – this added more options for decor and easy access to everyday items
- Large-format tile = less visible grout
Sam’s clients love the new look and improved functionality of their primary bathroom. The update was part of a much larger project. They also remodeled a hall bathroom upstairs, redid their kitchen, turned their dining room into a dry bar and gave their family room a makeover.
Size of Space:
- 10′ x 12.5′
- Brand: Grabill
- Finish: Hickory-Pepperwood Glaze
- Door style: Hampshire
- Brand: Impact
- Type: Quartz
- Color: Stratus
- Bain Ultra freestanding tub
- Kohler Purist series plumbing throughout – brushed nickel finish
- Rain shower head
- Freestanding tub with Kohler Purist faucet
- Onyx tile shower and tub wall
- Center cabinet bump out at vanity